Leukemia is a type of cancer which occurs due to the rapid increase in some abnormal blood cells in blood. It occurs when there is an abnormal production of white blood cells, which are responsible for fighting off infections.
Medical tourism could be beneficial to patients suffering from leukemia they can get affordable and effective global treatments at international destinations. Platforms like Medditour help them connect to state-of-art hospitals, doctors, and facilitators with no / reduced waiting time.
In this article, we will discuss the causes, diagnosis, and treatments for leukemia and how medical tourism can help cure the disease.
Causes of leukemia
Medical News Today states that leukemia occurs due to a problem with blood cell production. There are several reasons for leukemia which are discussed in detail.
- Genetic factors: Some people may inherit a gene that increases the risk of developing leukemia.
- Exposure to radiation: Exposure to high levels of radiation, such as during a nuclear accident, can increase the risk of developing leukemia.
- Chemical exposure: Exposure to certain chemicals, such as benzene, can increase the risk of developing leukemia.
- Certain medical conditions: Some medical conditions, such as Down syndrome, can increase the risk of developing leukemia.
- Previous cancer treatment: Previous treatment for cancer, such as chemotherapy and radiation therapy, can increase the risk of developing leukemia.
Diagnosis of leukemia
The diagnosis of leukemia begins with a physical exam and medical history. The doctor will ask about symptoms, family history, and any risk factors. The next step is usually a blood test, which can show abnormal levels of white blood cells. If the blood test is abnormal, the doctor may order a bone marrow biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.
Treatments for leukemia
The treatment for leukemia depends on the type of leukemia, the patient’s age and health, and the stage of the disease. Leukemia and Lymphoma Society states that leukemia is the most common cancer in children and teens younger than 20, accounting for almost one out of three cancers. The main treatments for leukemia include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and stem cell transplant.
- Chemotherapy: We generally use medications to kill cancer blood cells, which is otherwise called chemotherapy treatment. The drugs are usually given by injection or taken orally. Chemotherapy is given as a separate treatment or sometimes given along with other treatments for leukemia.
- Radiation therapy: Radiation therapy is also a popular treatment for leukemia, which uses powerful rays for killing the cancer cells. It is usually given externally, but can also be given internally through radioactive sources.
- Stem cell transplant: Stem cell transplant is a treatment that replaces diseased bone marrow with healthy bone marrow, which can be from the donor.
Medical tourism for leukemia treatment
Medical tourism can offer several advantages for people seeking treatment for leukemia. Today, leukemia treatments are cost-effective and are available at international standards in countries like India, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Dubai, and Turkey. Access to cutting-edge technologies, shorter waiting period, experienced doctors, and hospitality form the basis for many international patients preferring to get their treatments at international destinations.
Companies like Medditour not only help in connecting the leukemia patients to best treatments and facilitators, but also help them in combining their vacation with the treatment / rehab. This allows them to relax and lead a stress-free life after the treatment. It also helps in bringing a new life and optimism in them.
In conclusion, leukemia is a serious disease that requires prompt diagnosis and treatment. The main treatments for leukemia include chemotherapy, radiation therapy, and stem cell transplant. Medical tourism can offer several advantages for people seeking treatment for leukemia, including access to cutting-edge treatments, lower costs, shorter wait times, and experienced doctors. So, it is good to combine leukemia treatment with vacation, which can help spread positivity within.