High cholesterol is a common health problem that affects millions of people worldwide. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that having high blood cholesterol raises the risk for heart disease, the leading cause of death, and for stroke, the fifth leading cause of death.
Platforms like Medditour connect the patients seeking treatments for high cholesterol and its related diseases with global hospitals and facilitators for cost-effective treatments.
In this article, we will discuss the causes, diagnosis, diseases caused, and treatments for high cholesterol, and how medical tourism in India, Thailand, and Dubai can help in curing it.
Causes of High Cholesterol
High cholesterol is caused by a variety of factors, including genetics, poor diet, lack of exercise, and obesity. It can also be caused by certain medical conditions such as diabetes, liver disease, and hypothyroidism.
Diagnosis of high cholesterol
High cholesterol can be diagnosed through a simple blood test known as a lipid panel or lipid profile. This test measures the levels of various types of cholesterol in the blood, including LDL (bad cholesterol), HDL (good cholesterol), and triglycerides.
Diseases caused by high cholesterol
High cholesterol can lead to a variety of health problems, including
- Atherosclerosis: High cholesterol can cause the build-up of plaque in the arteries, leading to atherosclerosis, which can lead to heart disease, stroke, and peripheral artery disease.
- Heart disease: High cholesterol can lead to the accumulation of plaque in the arteries, causing the arteries to narrow and reducing blood flow to the heart. This can result in chest pain, heart attack, and other cardiovascular problems.
- Stroke: High cholesterol can also increase the risk of stroke by blocking blood flow to the brain.
Treatments for High Cholesterol
Mayo Clinic states that lifestyle changes such as exercising and eating a healthy diet are the first line of defense against high cholesterol. Lifestyle changes include:
- Healthy diet: A diet low in saturated and trans-fats, high in fiber, fruits, and vegetables can help lower cholesterol levels.
- Regular exercise: Regular physical activity can help improve cholesterol levels, as well as overall cardiovascular health.
- Weight loss: Losing weight can help lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease and other health problems.
- Medications for high cholesterol include statins, PCSK9 inhibitors, and bile acid sequestrants.
Medical tourism for high cholesterol levels and its treatments
Patients who travel to India, Thailand, and Dubai for high cholesterol treatment can benefit from:
- Access to experienced doctors: These countries have some of the best doctors and hospitals in the world for high cholesterol treatment. Patients can access experienced doctors who have performed numerous high cholesterol treatments and have a high success rate.
- Cost-effective treatment: Medical costs in these countries are much lower than in western countries, making it an affordable option for patients who may not be able to afford treatment in their home country.
- Quality healthcare infrastructure: These countries have state-of-the-art healthcare infrastructure, including modern hospitals, advanced medical equipment, and highly trained medical professionals.
Companies like Medditour provide opportunities for the patients who require treatments for their high cholesterol and other related problems to combine their treatment with vacation at international medical tourism destinations.
In conclusion, high cholesterol is a common health problem that can lead to a variety of serious health problems if left untreated. Diagnosis and treatment involve a combination of lifestyle changes and medications. Medical tourism in India, Thailand, and Dubai can offer access to experienced doctors, cost-effective treatment, and quality healthcare infrastructure to help patients in their high cholesterol treatment.