Cardiac rehabilitation is a comprehensive program of medical care that is designed to help patients recover from cardiovascular diseases, including heart attacks, heart failure, and coronary artery bypass surgery. It is a crucial aspect of post-operative care that aims to improve the patient’s overall health and quality of life while reducing the risk of further complications.
Companies like Medditour connect the patients requiring cardiac treatment and rehab with international hospitals and facilitators to ensure quality treatment at affordable prices.
In this article, let’s try to understand about cardiac rehab, surgeries requiring cardiac rehab, components included in it, and how medical tourism helps it.
Cardiac rehab: a glimpse
Cardiac rehab can be provided in a variety of settings, including hospitals, outpatient clinics, and rehabilitation centers. The program typically includes a combination of exercise, education, and counseling to help patients recover physically, emotionally, and psychologically. The goal is to help patients manage their symptoms, improve their cardiovascular function, and prevent future complications.
There are several surgeries that may require cardiac rehab, including:
- Coronary artery bypass surgery: This surgery involves creating a new route for blood to flow around a blocked or narrowed artery in the heart
- Heart valve surgery: This surgery involves repairing or replacing a damaged heart valve.
- Heart transplant surgery: This surgery involves replacing a patient’s diseased heart with a healthy donor heart.
Cardiac rehab can help patients recover from these surgeries by improving their overall cardiovascular health and reducing the risk of complications. National Library of Medicine states that cardiac rehabilitation programs are usually performed over a 12-week period.
Components of cardiac rehab programs
Cardiac rehab is typically provided by a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals, including cardiologists, nurses, exercise physiologists, and dietitians. The team works together to develop a personalized treatment plan that is tailored to each patient’s unique needs and goals.
The program may include several components, including:
- Exercise: The exercise component of cardiac rehab typically involves a combination of aerobic and resistance training. The goal is to improve cardiovascular function, reduce the risk of complications, and improve overall health.
- Education: The education component of cardiac rehab typically includes information on heart-healthy lifestyle changes, such as dietary changes, smoking cessation, and stress management.
- Counseling: The counseling component of cardiac rehab may involve individual or group counseling sessions to help patients manage their emotional and psychological well-being.
- Medications: Patients may also receive medications to help manage their symptoms and reduce the risk of complications.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention states that the cardiac rehabilitation decreases the chance that you will die in the 5 years following a heart attack or bypass surgery by about 35%.
Medical tourism and cardiac rehab
Medical tourism plays a significant role in helping the patients access high-quality cardiac rehab programs. Medical tourism refers to traveling to another country for medical care, often in search of more affordable or specialized treatment options.
Medical tourism destinations like India, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Dubai, and Turkey offer excellent cardiac rehab programs that are comparable to those in the United States. Medical tourism can be particularly beneficial for patients who do not have access to cardiac rehab programs in their home countries or who are looking for more affordable options.
In addition to providing access to high-quality cardiac rehab programs at affordable cost, medical tourism also allows the patients to combine their cardiac treatments and cardiac rehab with vacation at medical tourism destinations. Companies like Medditour help them avail their vacation at exotic locations so that they can easily get relieved of the stress that they have.
In conclusion, cardiac rehab is a crucial aspect of post-operative care for patients with cardiovascular diseases. It can help improve their overall health and quality of life while reducing the risk of further complications. Cardiac rehab is typically provided by a multidisciplinary team of healthcare professionals and may include exercise, education, counseling, and medication. Medical tourism can play a significant role in helping the patients access high-quality cardiac rehab programs at affordable cost.